Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Spoiled Rotten

I have to admit that last week I celebrated another birthday (the big f-o-r-t-y). Yikes - am I really that old? I remember when I was 20 thinking that 40 was soooooooooooo far away. And now here I am and truthfully, I love my age.

We had a nice, quiet evening just my husband and I alone for the whole night. And I will say that after the day I had, a night away from the kids was just what the doctor ordered!

Saturday rolled around and we went on a deacons retreat to Big Bear. Things were a little weird that morning. Our pastor called and asked us to pick up a few items on our way to meet at the church before heading to Big Bear. And then he said, "When you get to the church, DO NOT open the refrigerator!" We said ok and just shrugged it off. Sure enough, the sign was there in VERY BIG letters.

Everything is great. We make it up to Big Bear and are parking when I see our pastor's wife talking to someone. I thought I recognized her. And then I realized who it was. Do you remember the missionary family we went to see last year in Madagascar? They were there!!!! They are back in the US for a furlough to raise more support and get some health issues taken care of. We were elated to see them! Dear pastor's wife then tells me that part of my birthday present was to bring the Pritchards out to see us (so sweet). Pastor had told us back in August that he had lined up someone special to come out but he absolutely refused to tell us who it was. His lips were super-glued shut about it. Turns out that everyone except Walter and I knew about it.

We had a great time in Big Bear. We traveled back down the mountain and headed to one of the deacon's homes for dinner. We were treated to authentic mexican carne asada. Can I just tell you how mouth watering good it was! Our pastor's wife had cupcakes made especially for me and that's when I found out why I wasn't allowed in the refrigerator. Then I was given a couple of gifts - a candle that smells out-of-this-world good with a candle holder and then a $200 gift card. I didn't open the card until Sunday because I thought my pastor's wife said it was something other than it was. Boy did my mouth hit the ground Sunday morning when I opened it up!

We were able to spend the day with the Pritchards on Sunday as well. They were our guests in church. It was so great to see them and spend time with them. Walter and I had forgotten just how passionate Ja is when he preaches about missions. It really stirred up both of us for missions again.

I was definitely spoiled rotten!

No comments: