Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Light Bulb Moment

I was sitting in church last Sunday morning and a light bulb moment occurred in my head.

The odd thing about it is that I've read this passage of Scripture many times in the past and apparently I just didn't get the true meaning, which just boggles my mind.

Galatians 5:19-23
"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

Our world has made laws against things such as adultery, fornication, uncleanness, etc. We can go to jail, and even in some countries, be killed for committing any of the above listed in Scripture.

However, there are no laws against love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, etc.

The light bulb moment came when our pastor said this: "Imagine saying 'I love you' and then being told you are under arrest." That doesn't happen!

As Christians, we should practice and live the 'fruit of the Spirit.' I believe we will all be a lot happier if we do!

No comments: