Friday, August 1, 2008

Prayer DOES Change People

My husband's mother passed away almost 1 year ago. While he was with his dad for the funeral, his dad told him that many years ago he had surrendered his life to the Lord to go into full time ministry. But he never did go into full time ministry.

Somehow he had gotten away from his walk with the Lord (it's so easy for any of us to do if we neglect our walk for even one day - I know from personal experience). He and my mother-in-law didn't go to church. They both knew Jesus Christ as their Saviour. They would go with us sometimes when they came for a visit but they didn't go regularly.

Quite a few years ago (10+), Walter and I bought his parents a Bible for them for Christmas. They kept it. After my mother-in-law passed away, my father-in-law started reading the Bible again. He told us he read it every night. Walter encouraged him many times to get back into church. He said he would go but he just wasn't ready.

We prayed for him for many years. Our church has been praying for him for many years to get back into church and get his walk right with the Lord.

Last Saturday night, he called and talked with Walter for a long time. I kept hearing Walter saying, "Praise the Lord! Dad, I'm so happy for you!" I patiently waited for the phone call to end and then asked what happened.

Last Saturday morning, in the wee hours of the morning, Dad woke up and made the decision to give his life back over to the Lord. Praise the Lord! Hallelujah! He went to a men's prayer breakfast that morning at the little Baptist church in his town. He had a wonderful time. He enjoyed the fellowship and even participated. He went to church the following morning and enjoyed that as well.

Which brings me to my next bit of news.....

My father-in-law is getting married on August 16th. We are so happy for him!

He and his soon-to-be wife are joining that little Baptist church in the town they both live in this coming Sunday. Dad says that he really likes the pastor of the church. I know he likes him when he says, "I could talk to him all afternoon."

Prayer really does change people! It's not anything we do, only what God can do in someone's heart. It takes prayer, prayer, and more prayer! Dad told Walter to tell our church family, "Thank you for praying for me. You can take me off you list and pray for someone else now."

1 comment:

Shari said...

Oh Rhonda! I have tears flowing! Yes, you are so right! It takes much prayer for change! I am so happy for your FIL and you guys, too! What a blessing! Praise the Lord!