Thursday, May 21, 2009

Tomato & Basil Pasta with Chicken

This is not the real name for this dish. I actually don't know the real name. I made it up. But I got this recipe from watching food network a couple years ago.

There is a saying - Necessity is the mother of all invention. Well, I invented yesterday.

I didn't have a lot in the fridge or cupboard so this is what I came up with. It's a new twist on an old favorite pasta dish.

Ingredients:
1 lb. pasta (I like penne and shells, but you can use whatever you want)
8 roma tomatoes cut up (not diced but small chunks)
1-4 large cloves of garlic (we like a lot of garlic - but it's to your taste)
1 lb. mozzarella cheese cut into small chunks (fresh mozzarella is incredible but you don't have to use fresh)
fresh basil, julienned, to taste
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
3-4 chicken breasts cut into chunks

Heat large skillet with enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Add in chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook until juices run clear. While chicken is cooking place pot of water on stove and heat to boiling for pasta. Cut up tomatoes, garlic, cheese, and basil. When water is at a full boil add pasta. Watch the pasta closely - you don't want mush - you want al dente (with a slight firmness). While pasta is cooking add tomatoes, garlic, and basil to chicken. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tomatoes are tender. If need be turn burner off so you don't overcook the tomatoes. Drain pasta and add to skillet. Add cheese, salt, pepper, and more fresh basil. Keep the heat on low so as not to burn the food. Stir until mixed thoroughly. Food is done when cheese begins to melt. Serve immediately.

Variations: I usually don't make this with any meat. It's usually a compliment to whatever meat we are having. I said necessity was the mother of all invention. Well, I didn't have any mozzarella so I used Monterey Jack instead. My family loved it! They said it was better than mozzarella! I also added a shallot with the tomatoes and garlic. I didn't have fresh basil so I used dried. It was still good however, fresh gives an amazing flavor! Add any meat you like. I only had chicken. I only had 2 tomatoes but it was still good. Experiment for yourself and see what you come up with.

Happy cooking!

No comments: