Friday, February 18, 2011

I Am The Easiest To Please...

on Valentine's Day.

But, I haven't always been as easy as I am now.

My parents never made a big deal out of Valentine's Day. They usually bought us some candy hearts or a small heart box of chocolate. I was very ok with that, too.

After we got married, I wanted my husband to ravish me on Valentine's Day (though I never really told him that). After all, it's all about the romance! But, we were usually so broke that he couldn't get me the things I thought I should get.

And then we had an amazing rose garden so Walter would tell me he didn't need to buy me roses. After all, I had a garden FULL of roses!

Fast forward about 15 years after we were married.

Walter decided to surprise me for Valentine's Day. He bought me a beautiful teacup full of gorgeous flowers (he couldn't afford to get me roses because they were about $90 a dozen) and some chocolate. I felt incredibly special.

THEN...............






I saw the receipt for the flower purchase. He had spent $45 just on the flowers! I about fell over! I told him that I didn't want him to ever buy me flowers for Valentine's Day again.

He looked at me with a confused look. He was silent. I finally had gotten what I wanted - flowers - and within a few minutes of getting them I told him not to buy me them again! Huh? He still has not figured me out after all these years of marriage. I even surprised myself with that, too.

This year was no different. I told Walter the week before Valentine's Day not to buy me anything at all. I didn't want it. He was quiet again. He honored my request. But, he did take me to dinner - where I wanted to go. Nothing fancy - exactly what we both wanted - Souplantation (and it was really good). While we were eating I thanked him for not buying me anything. His response? "You're weird!"

No comments: