Thursday, September 25, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie with Cornbread

So here's another family favorite as of late.

My husband and I love chicken pot pie. My children don't like the pastry crust, though. So I experimented one day and, voila, a new twist on an old recipe!

Chicken Pot Pie - serves 4-6

1 10 oz. bag frozen peas and carrots
1 small onion, chopped
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
3-4 medium size cooked chicken breasts, shredded

In a small pan, add peas and carrots. Put enough water in the pan to cover the vegies. Cook until tender. Drain and set aside. In a large stock pot melt the butter. Add the onions and cook until transparent, about 2-3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and flour. Stir until bubbly. Remove from heat and add chicken broth and milk. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil for 1 minute. Add chicken and vegies. Pour into 9"x13" cake pan.

Cornbread

1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 Tbsp. butter, melted

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine milk, eggs, oil, and butter in another bowl. Mix well. Add to the dry ingredients. Stir just until blended.

Here's the twist.

Pour cornbread batter over the pot pie mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cornbread batter comes out clean. Serve hot.

To "kick it up a notch" I add a little honey to the cornbread batter.

My family consists of 5 people. I double the pot pie mix and use a single cornbread mix for a 9"x13" cake pan. If I double both the pot pie mix and the cornbread mix, I use the next size bigger baking pan. Otherwise, the cornbread will spill over onto my oven (and that's not good!).

Enjoy!

No comments: