Monday, October 12, 2009

I Should've Listened To Mama

Last Saturday we went to Riley's farm in Oak Glen. We went with a few other families from church.

It's harvest season and there were pumkins, squash, and apples galore!

Our family actually went to several different orchards/farms that day.

The weather was beautiful.

People were everywhere! And, oh, the smell of the food cooking! My, my, my! It was a heavenly smell! Corn on the cob, barbecued meat, apple everything cooking...mmmmmmmmmm! And then when you walked into the gift shops, there were samples...apple butter, pumpkin butter, apple pie, etc. Might I add here that the apple and pumpkin butters were out of this world! I think I'm going to have to try making some homemade butters.

We made it to a place called Parrish Canyon. We went through the different shops there and one really big shop in particular.

I decided to buy some apples I'd never tried before - Arkansas Black apples to be exact. We were standing in line and I glanced to my left. I noticed a tortilla maker. I walked over to check it out. Then something on the shelf above and to the right just a bit caught my eye. I looked at it and couldn't figure out what it was. I picked it up only to discover that there was a base underneath it that was hidden. The base fell to the ground and I heard a pop kinda like the pop when a light bulb breaks. I still didn't know what this contraption was and didn't realize it was ceramic yet, either. I picked up the base and discovered that it was broken. Sigh. I still didn't know what this thing was and had to buy it because I broke it.

You know that old saying, "Don't touch. If you break it, you buy it!" Well, my mama told me over and over (probably thousands of times during my childhood) not to touch things in stores so I didn't break anything (I've said that to my kids probably thousands of times, too, down through the years). I don't remember breaking anything as a child. Now, at the ripe old age of 40, I still should've listened to mama.

My boys hopefully learned a lesson from their mama this weekend. Boy, did I feel like an idiot! At least it only cost $5.50.

It turned out to be a toothpick holder. Just looking at the thing, you wouldn't have known it. We had to look at the display of them to figure it out.

I learned my lesson - don't touch if you don't want to buy!

No comments: