Tuesday, October 20, 2009

More Yummy Recipes

I found a recipe last year that was a new take on Chicken Cordon (sp?) Blue. It's called Chicken Saltimbocca. I found it on Taste of Home's website.

It's very tasty. I however, tweaked it a little to fit my tastes and convenience.

Here are my tweaks:

1) I don't flatten the chicken breasts - takes too much time

2) I also don't roll the chicken and put toothpicks in them. I did this the first 2 or 3 times I made it and it was just way too much work for my liking. But you can do whatever you want

3) Because I started making dinner way too late yesterday, I cooked the chicken in the oven in a covered baking pan at 350 for 1 hour instead of the crockpot and it turned out the same

4) I did not use wine - I substitute with chicken broth

One of these days, I'm going to make the REAL Chicken Cordon Blue.

I served it with Twice Baked Potatoes

I don't have a recipe for it. I just winged it and they came out really good!

Here's what I used:

red potatoes - medium to large (remember that you cut them in half lengthwise so 1 potato can serve 2 people)
2 tbsp. butter
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup cheese (I used Boursin cheese - my husband brought home an entire box of this cheese free and it's out of this world good - but you can use cheddar, swiss, jack, or whatever you want)
salt and pepper to taste

Bake the potatoes in the oven at 400 degrees until fork tender (No need to put them on a pan or cover with foil - just put them on the oven rack). Cool. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out potato leaving thin shells.

Put cooked potato into food processor. Add butter, milk, cheese, salt and pepper. Process until mixture is of desired consistency (I like it smooth). Scoop spoonfuls into potato shells (you can heap the mixture in the shells). Top with grated cheese of your choice.

Place potatoes in baking pan. Put in 350 degree oven uncovered about 30 minutes or until heated through.

Tip: My measurements are approximate - you may need more or less. Really, it's up to your taste.

I hope your family enjoys this meal as much as mine did!

No comments: