Friday, December 21, 2007

He is Faithful...

II Timothy 2:7-13 "Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things. Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel: Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound; Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself."

It doesn't matter what we do or say, God is faithful. You just read it. Even if we don't believe, yet HE abideth faithful! God is faithful to us. HE never leaves us nor forsakes us! HE gives us air to breathe, clothes to wear, a roof over our heads, and food on the table! HE told us those are the things HE will make sure we have. God didn't promise us the finest of everything. HE promised us the basics.

We don't need all of the other "stuff" that clutters our lives (the newest cars, the newest clothes, the newest technology, the newest hdtv, etc.). When we have all of the other stuff it creates worry (our car will get stolen, how are we going to make the payments, etc.) and takes our focus off of God. We just need the basics. Don't get me wrong. Obviously, we have a computer and we have cell phones and we have a dvd player, etc. I don't think it's wrong to have nice things as long as our focus remains on God and not things of this world.

God has been doing a work in Walter and me showing us that we have too much "clutter" in our lives. He has shown us that "less is more" lately. And do you know what? We are happy. There is a "...peace which passeth all understanding." We know that God is preparing us for something. We can't put our finger on it yet as to exactly what "it" is.

I am also reminded of Matthew 6:11. "Give us this day our daily bread." I am so accustomed to buying groceries for at least 2 weeks at a time, maybe even stocking up for several months on some things. But lately the food budget has been slim. "...yet he abideth faithful." God has been so faithful to make sure that there is food on our table. And HE is even teaching me to depend on HIM for our "daily bread" every day. I haven't been "stocking up" like I usually do. Yet there is a "...peace which passeth all understanding."

Walter and I have had many conversations lately about gratitude and thankfulness. As we look back on our lives recently as well as all the years we've been married, there is not one time that we can say where God was not faithful. I am so grateful and thankful that HE cares for even the little things in our lives and provides even when we don't deserve it!

During this Christmas season I hope that you will ponder all of what God has done for you and continues to do for you on a daily basis. I know that in so doing my attitude has been greatly changed for the better and HE will do the same for you.

We really do serve a MIGHTY GOD!!!!

1 comment:

Shari said...

Rhonda-

Thank you for sharing this. It was an encouragement to me.

Shari