Friday, July 25, 2008

Complete Directions, Please!

In my last post I said that I didn't know if we would be able to go to the Youth Conference at Pacific Baptist Church. Turns out we got to go!!!! And it was FABULOUS!!! I am exhausted but it was worth every minute! We even stayed an extra night at the Roses home because I couldn't drive home - just too tired (I was at the point of crying). That was a huge blessing, too!

So onto the reason for the title of this here post.

Wednesday night after the conference ended we went with 2 families (the DaCostas and the Roses) to a place called Yogurtland. Boy, that was a great place! About 15 different kinds of frozen yogurt and all the toppings you can imagine.

We all loaded up in the cars to go home. I ended up with 4 boys in the truck - Phyllip, Tyler, Daniel (14 or 15 years old) and Adam (11 years old). I was following the Roses home since I didn't know where I was. Now you have to realize that it was 10:00 p.m. It was very dark outside. Hence the following conversation.

I was turning the truck around and I didn't see where the Roses car was.

Me: "Daniel, do you see your parents car? Which way did they go?"

Daniel: sitting behind me - "They went that way."

Me: "Daniel......you are sitting behind me and I can't see you. Which way is 'that way'?"

Daniel: "I have to think..........left."

Me: "Ok."

I turned left at the Ralph's store and looked ahead to see the Roses car pulling out of the parking lot turning right. I turned right and was trying to catch up to them. I got stopped at the light. The Roses took off. They were at least 3 stop lights ahead of me.

Daniel: "It's easy to get home. You just need to get off at Bellflower and then I can get you home."

Me: Frustrated by this time because I can't see my lead car. "I don't know where Bellflower is! How do I get to Bellflower?"

Daniel: "You have to take the freeway."

Me: "Which freeway? I don't know how to get there. There are 2 freeways around here."

Daniel: "I don't know." He turns to his brother, Adam, and says, "Adam, which freeway should we get on?"

Adam: "I don't know."

By this time I am ready to cry - exhaustion and being in an unfamiliar place.

Me: "Daniel.....don't give me any more directions. I am only getting confused."

Now I had my cell phone with me but I didn't have the Roses' phone number. Great! No way to get ahold of them! Finally, my cell phone rings. I picked it up and the conversation is as follows.

Lyndsey: "Mom, where are you?"

Me: "I'm about 3 stop lights behind you."

Lyndsey: "No, you're not. We never left the parking lot. We're still here waiting for you."

Me: "What????? No. I saw you pull out of the parking lot. Daniel told me......"

Lyndsey: "I will let you talk to Mrs. Rose." She hands the phone to Pauline.

Pauline: "Rhonda, where are you?"

Me: "I'm at Studebaker Road."

Pauline: "Pull over and we'll be right there."

Me: "Already stopped. Ok I see you."

So I finally got behind my lead car and we made it safely back to the Roses home. I was frustrated at the time and I didn't find any of this funny. But by the time we got home, I was laughing A LOT! Teenagers!

No comments: