Saturday, July 12, 2008

Pasta Rustica

I can't believe I'm doing this but...I decided to share another of my favorite recipes. Usually, I prefer to just make it for people and keep the recipe secret. But then friends and family from far away don't get to taste it. So...

I took the basic idea of this recipe from Macaroni Grill's "Pasta Rustica" and tweeked it to the way I like it.

Pasta Rustica

2 lbs. penne or rigatoni pasta
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese - HUGE difference between fresh and not!
*grate a little extra add when it's all put together
2 jars spaghetti/marinara sauce - I prefer Classico's Roasted Garlic and Caramelized Onion
fresh basil - to taste
crushed red pepper - to taste
pepper - to taste
1 lb. bacon
1 lb. sausage - I prefer breakfast sausage like Jimmy Dean in the tube


Cut the bacon into bite sized pieces before frying. Fry till crisp. Cook sausage till well done. Boil water for pasta. While the water is heating mix together the marinara sauce, whipping cream, parmesan cheese, basil, crushed red pepper and pepper. Cook on low heat just until heated through - be sure to stir occasionally so it doesn't stick to the pan.

When water is at a rolling boil add some salt - a couple of teaspoons - to flavor the pasta while it's cooking. Then add the pasta. DON'T walk away from your kitchen once the pasta is cooking. You DON'T want to have mushy pasta - yuck! Cook until pasta is al dente - not crunchy but a little chewy. Cook somewhere between 5 and 6 minutes, usually. If you leave it in the pan past the al dente stage it doesn't taste good. Drain water off of pasta immediately.

All of this makes 2 9x13 pans of food. Combine meat, pasta and sauce. Mix well. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese and even a little more fresh basil if you want. Serve. ENJOY!

You can use any meat you want. Chicken works well. I've had someone tell me she used shrimp and it tasted good. I've made meatballs, too. It's whatever you want.

I've tried the canned parmesan cheese. It's ok. I've tried fresh grated parmesan cheese from Wisconsin. It's ok. Then I decided to try Italian imported parmesan cheese and grated it fresh. Oh my goodness! Huge difference in flavor! Way better than anything else! If you can afford it - try the Italian cheese! You won't be sorry!

Another note - Classico spaghetti sauce is quite expensive. So...I decided to try to imitate it. I bought a cheaper brand. Our family loves the roasted garlic and caramelized onion flavor. I roasted a head of garlic in the oven and I fried an onion in a little olive oil and butter until it was golden brown. Then I put the garlic and onion in the marinara sauce. Warm it up and voila! It was just as good as the Classico but without the price!

No comments: