Thursday, July 10, 2008

Oatmeal Bread

I started making homemade bread consistently about 6 weeks ago. I've tried several different recipes. My family keeps telling me to make one particular recipe. So...I thought I would share it.

I've "shot myself in the foot" so to speak with this here homemade bread stuff. See, the ignitor in my oven went kaput last week. I couldn't make any bread so I bought some - the good stuff I used to buy - the bread my family likes. Well, they don't like it anymore! They only like my homemade bread. It appears that I am destined to make homemade bread from now on (ok - not like I mind - cooking is one of my passions!)! This recipe is the only one that stays fresh up to 3 days (at least in what I've made).

Oatmeal Bread

1 cup rolled oats
3 tbsp. butter
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups boiling water

1/4 cup warm water
1 tsp. sugar
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast

1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 cups all-purpose flour (I use bread flour as well)

4 cups all-purpose flour - approximately


Measure rolled oats into large bowl. Add butter and molasses. Pour boiling water over top. Cool to lukewarm. I boil the water on the stove in a pan and pour the oats, butter and molasses into it.

Stir warm water and granulated sugar together in a small bowl. Sprinkle yeast over top. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast. I do this step in the bowl (a very large bowl) that I will mix the actual bread dough in - too many bowls used otherwise. Add oatmeal mixture to yeast mixture.

Add brown sugar, salt and first amount of flour. Beat well.

Work in enough remaining flour until dough pulls away from sides of bowl (for me I use 3 1/2 cups of flour - but for you it might be 4 - all depends on the moisture in the air where you live). Turn out onto floured surface. Knead 8 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Here's where a kitchen-aid mixer or something like it comes in handy. I let my mixer do most of the kneading as my hands don't have the strength anymore to do all the work. I do probably 1 minute of kneading by hand. Place in buttered bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a tea towel. Let stand in oven with light on and door closed for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down. Divide into 2 equal portions. Shape into loaves. Place in 2 buttered loaf pans. It is VERY important that you butter your pans. If you don't this will happen. Cover with a tea towel. Let stand in oven with light on and door closed 20 to 40 minutes until doubled in size. I don't put the dough in the oven at all to rise. I find it rises just fine as long as it's in a warm place - don't put the dough in the refrigerator.

Topping: Beat 1 large egg white and 1 tbsp. water with a fork in a small bowl. Brush over the top of loaves.

Sprinkle with 1/4 cup rolled oats using some or all, as desired. If you prefer not to use this topping, brush tops with softened butter after loaves are baked - the latter is my preference. Bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes. Turn out onto racks to cool. Makes 2 loaves.

1 comment:

Shari said...

Love the new picture! I wish I had you close to teach me how to make bread that doesn't turn out like a rock. I have tried yeast recipes many times and they always fail. Any suggestions?