Monday, December 15, 2008

A HOT Lesson...

I was in the process of making "Jalapeno Poppers" today.

I had cut open the jalapenos and was taking the veins and seeds out. Phyllip and Tyler walk into the kitchen and both proudly proclaim that they've eaten the seeds before and they're not hot. What did I, their mother, do????? I dared them to put a seed on their tongue. To which they both happily obliged.

What happened? Immediately they started diving for something to take the HOT away! Phyllip got the biggest glass of milk he could! They were pathetic! Even an hour later, Tyler was still complaining that his tongue was on fire. They are such light weights!

I served the jalapenos for dinner and neither one of them would eat them. They ate the filling and the bacon but happily refused the jalapenos! They didn't want to take any chances.

I think they learned their lesson.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In case you want the recipe for Jalapeno Poppers, here it is.

1 lb. bacon
12 oz. sausage (any kind you like-I used breakfast sausage in the tube)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
jalapenos - as many as you want

Slice the jalapenos lengthwise. Cut out the veins and seeds (you can leave some seeds in if you want extra heat). Brown the sausage in a pan, breaking up into small pieces. Transfer sausage into a bowl and add cream cheese. Mix well. Stuff the jalapenos with the sausage/cream cheese mixture. Cut slices of bacon in half or thirds (whichever you like better). Roll bacon around each jalapeno. Place in a baking dish. Stick each one with a toothpick. Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!

I can't take the credit for this recipe. I got it from one of the ladies in my church (Thank you, Esha). This has become a favorite of my husband. I made a really good pot of chili tonight and he said the poppers trumped the chili! I know these are good if he says that!

No comments: