Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I'm Quite Sure They Get the Gene From Their Father...

Today was a major work day at church. We have decided to beautify our church building.

Walter and I and the kids were down doing some prep work and cleaning the office.

We had been there for about 4 hours or so by the time we were done.

Unbeknownst (is that a word?) to Walter and I, the boys were outside playing in the water. Shouldn't be anything wrong with that you wonder? Ha! You don't know my boys!

Phyllip told Tyler that Dad said they could slide in the water and mud hole in the grassy area next to the building (major run-on sentence, I know). They played like it was more of a 'Slip N Slide.' As we are about to set the security alarm in the building, I walk outside and call the boys. Tyler is the first one to appear. Dripping wet from head to toe! Next, Phyllip appeared equally as wet.

Our mouths dropped open and I think almost hit the ground!

Me: "What are you two doing?"

Tyler and Phyllip: "Dad said we could slide in the water and mud and get wet. Aren't we just going home anyway?"

Me: "No, son, we aren't just going home. We have lots of errands to run! You can't get in the car dripping wet!"

The look on their faces was priceless! They were completely amazed that we didn't give them permission to get wet.

Walter: "Guess what? You two get to run errands with us looking like that! Wring out your clothes as best as you can!"

Me: "Where in the world did you get the idea that you would ever be allowed to do this?"

Phyllip: "Dad said we could!"

Walter: "No, I didn't."

Me: "Boys, look at me. In case I haven't been clear up until this moment, let me be very clear. You will never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be allowed to play in the water and mud at church ever! Have I made myself clear?"

Phyllip and Tyler: "Yes, ma'am."

Walter turns to me and says, "They get that from you. Your mom used to have water fights inside the house!" "My sister and I never would have thought to do what these two knuckleheads have just done, so I think they get that gene from you!" I said. We both laughed.

They went inside and tried to dry themselves as best they could. They were shivering everywhere we went because all the stores still have their air conditioning running. Their teeth were chattering. I did feel kinda bad for them, but not too much. The worst part about it was that as they were drying they started smelling like mildew and it was really bad!

I'm not upset now. Actually, I was laughing about it a short while later.

Boys! They never cease to amaze me at what they think of! Gotta love 'em, though! They bring much joy to our lives!

1 comment:

Shari said...

Ah yes! One time we had a meeting with Bro Fountain at Lakewood Baptist Temple. The automatic sprinklers turned on and the boys went to town in the water. I was shocked! And like you, we had other things to do! LOL