Saturday, April 4, 2009

***Big Sigh*** but with a smile

My husband and I were feeling a bit uneasy a couple months ago with the choice of colleges we had agreed to let Lyndsey go to. After getting quite a bit of counsel, we decided it wasn't in her best interest to go to that particular college. Walter told her he would like her to go to West Coast Baptist College.

She was devastated....absolutely devastated. She had been looking forward to spending her college years with her best friend, Esther. Now that wouldn't be happening. Oh how she cried. It broke my heart...the whole thing was so sad.

But she was not mad at us. We showed her the reasons and let her read the pamphlets we had read and she came to same conclusion we did. She needed to go to another college.

Fast forward to last Sunday.

Lyndsey went to West Coast Baptist College and stayed there for almost a week. She got to attend different college classes and stay in the dorms and see what college life is like. She had a great time and being the social butterfly she is, met a ton of people and made new friends.

Me, on the other hand.........had a really hard time with her being gone. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the time with my boys, but my girl being gone was so hard. I got a small glimpse of what it will be like when she leaves for college in August. It was so different this time. It wasn't like she was just going to summer camp for a week and coming home. She was getting a taste of what life will be like for her in just over 4 months.

She was supposed to come home yesterday. We found out a couple hours before she was to be home that she wouldn't be coming home until today. My heart melted. I had to wait another 24 hours to see my little girl/very beautiful young woman.

That started a domino effect on the day. The computer was on the fritz and wouldn't boot up. I tried to use the printer to copy a test for Phyllip and discovered it was out of ink (which we had no replacements, either). How much worse could it get? I didn't even want to find out. I was having such a bad day and so was my attitude.

When I decided to change my attitude shortly after, guess what? Things changed for the day. The computer decided to start working and the printer wasn't actually out of ink after all. How does that happen? I believe Satan tries really hard to discourage us and when there is a domino effect that happens quickly, he thinks he can get us down and be of no good use for the Lord Jesus Christ. When I decided I wasn't going to be critical about every little thing that was happening (after all, what could I do to change any of the circumstances?) the day just got brighter. That doesn't mean that I didn't still miss my daughter terribly. But I chose not to live in anger and misery.

I was so happy to see my Lyndsey this morning! Unfortunately, she came home very sick. And she spent the better part of today sleeping. She's got a fever, earache, sore throat, head congestion, etc. It's a combination of not getting enough sleep and the weather.

She is also happy to be home. She said, "Mom, I didn't realize just how close I had gotten to you and Dad until I left on Sunday. I don't know how I'm going to make it at college." (insert gigantic smile on this momma's face :) ) To which I replied, "I don't know how I'm going to make it when you are gone to college!" Actually that's not true. I do know how I will make it - the Lord Jesus Christ. He will give me the strength to let her go.

1 comment:

K.McKen. said...

You seem to have such a sweet relationship with your daughter. Judging from how things went with my Mom and I, the first couple months after leaving home were some of the hardest but after I got married, it changed our relationship SOO much!! I am always fascinated to hear the stories she tells me about how they "started out" in life and compare them to my husband and I. I hope you and Lyndsey will have the same!!