Monday, May 19, 2008

The "Dirty" Lake

I forgot to mention this in my last post. When we were at the volcano with all the "sellers" I was getting a little irritated because they just wouldn't let us alone. I decided to take pictures of them. And then I counted how many of them were huddled around us. There were 17 of them! No joke! I counted twice just to make sure my math was correct!








Sunday, April 13

Ja had asked Walter to teach the children's Sunday school class. Kristoff interpreted for him and the children seemed to enjoy it.

After church we went to lunch with the Sigmuns'. After lunch we went to the "dirty" lake. There are 2 lakes in that area - the "clean" one and the "dirty" one. Close to the "dirty" lake is the big open air market and we went there as well.

The "dirty" lake has raw sewage in it, people wash their clothes in it, they bathe in it, and they catch fish from it. I don't know how the fish can even live in it but somehow they do. It was gross! Below is a picture from the "dirty" lake.

This is a picture of the lake and the home of someone.

We found a few remaining flyers for Walter's creation class so we passed them out. The people came running! There were several women that were mad when we ran out because they didn't get one!




We walked up to the market and looked around. It was huge! We didn't go very far in. You see the same things sold over and over and over and over again.







Those are 'used' undergarments for sale!

This is a cow's head for sale!

This is the "sludge" we had to walk thru at the markets. It's a mixture of animal blood, urine (animal and human, I'm sure), water, etc. On this particular day we didn't know we would go to a market and I had sandals on. I had to be extremely careful where I walked.
We walked back towards the "dirty" lake and off to the right of the lake was a small neighborhood. It was the most impoverished area we visited. Now I thought we had seen poverty. But not like this neighborhood! It was bad. We walked down into the neighborhood. We stuck out like a sore thumb! Everyone knew we were 'visaha' or "foreigner" and they kept shouting 'visaha' at us (in a friendly way) with big smiles on their faces.



These little guys chased me down and begged me to take their picture. They were very happy!



The children are asking Kelli Sigmun about her daughter, Selah.



Notice how this house is falling apart. But people still live in it!

No comments: