Wednesday, May 14, 2008

This and That in Madagascar

Thursday, April 10

We hadn't been able to exchange money for a couple of days because the machine that links to the US banks wasn't able to get a connection. Imagine being a missionary, needing money, going to the bank daily to get it only to be turned away because of technology. We know how that feels because we experienced it. We went to the bank 3 days in a row before we were able to get money.

A little side note - while in the bank I saw a Malagasy man walk in wearing a purple shirt and hot pink tennis shoes! Nothing wrong with that - just a little odd!

Ja needed to pay a bill after we were done at the bank so we walked from the bank. An elderly man that had visited the church several times just so happened to see us walking down the street with Ja. He told Ja he needed some money. Keep in mind that Ja was incredibly sick and to have this guy following us talking and talking and talking just added to Ja's exhaustion. He followed us to the shop, waited til we were done, and walked back to the car with us.

On the way back to the car we stopped and talked to a couple of young ladies. They had helped Ja find a piece of land that he would like to purchase for the church. Ja was just saying hello to them. The man that had followed us the whole time proceeded to tell Ja that he (Ja) needed to pray with them. It was like this old man just knew what these girls needed! Anyway, he still followed us back to the car and begged Ja for a ride. The only seat available (even if Ja was willing to give him a ride) was in the back next to me. Ja told him no. If Ja started giving 1 man a ride and word got out, he'd have to give everyone a ride. So the answer was no.

The mid-week church services are on Thursday evenings. Ja was incredibly sick with pneumonia so he asked another missionary, Richard Jertberg, to preach. Great message!

After church, I was talking with some of the Malagasy women and girls (through an interpreter, of course). Around me was Madame Bertine (pronounced Ber theen), Oly (pronounced oo lee), Ephrazee, Lucy, Adriana, and others. Madame Bertine was at my cooking classes. She wanted me to teach her how to make pizza. Anyway, she made the following comment. "If I eat your American food, I will become fat like Pastor Ja!" I was absolutely appalled, offended, etc.! I couldn't believe the nerve of this woman to say that about her pastor! I told her that I would NEVER tell that to him! She was laughing!

Well. I found out a little later that Madame Bertine was actually complimenting Ja because the Malagasy people actually want to put on weight and be "fat." Can you say 'odd, weird, over the top, etc.'? I'm not sure I could ever get used to someone calling me fat and it being a compliment.

I was still talking to the girls at church and they asked me my age. Earlier in the week, LuCein had asked me my age and I was quite uncomfortable telling him - but I did. I didn't want to tell them my age. I mean, after all, a lady doesn't tell her age, ya know! Richard Jertberg overheard the conversation and said that it's a custom to tell your age there. And the people are proud of their age, too. I thought, "Custom or not, I don't want to tell them!" I compromised and whispered it in several girls' ears which made them extremely giggly.

While talking with the women and girls of the church they asked me my name and Walter's. I told them and you should have seen them try to say it! It was so funny! They had the hardest time putting the sounds together! But they tried and tried and tried and finally got it, kinda.


This is my friend, Oly. I tried to take a picture of us together. Didn't work too well.

I tried again. Still didn't work too well.
So, I had to have Walter take a picture of us to get a decent one.

No comments: