Thursday, May 1, 2008

Lunch at Le Pousse Pousse and an Unforgettable Trip to the Grocery Store

It was Saturday, April 5th. It was a low key day as Bro. Pritchard was feeling terrible. His breathing was so labored that he was doing breathing treatments regularly throughout the day.

We decided to take the Pritchard family to lunch with us. We went to a restaurant called Le Pousse Pousse. You actually sit in a pousse for your seat around the tables.

Anyway, we went to the back room. There was a stereo playing and one of the speakers was in the room we were in. I just happen to think that the picture is funny. I don't think Walter thought much of it. But as I was gazing around the room I noticed a thick piece of foam hanging off something that was towards the top of one of the corners of the room. Then I realized the foam was attached to the stereo speaker. It wasn't cut to the size of the speaker nor was it camouflaged. So I took a picture.

The speaker at the restaurant



One of the little shack shops that are everywhere. Notice the tin roof.

Some pictures of Antsirabe

After lunch, we needed to pick up some groceries so we went to the ShopRite down the road. We got our things and got in line. Everything's going great until I pay for our items. The total was 30,640 ariy ariy (about $15 American dollars). No problem. I give the clerk 31,000. I watch her count it and enter the total in the computer. She entered 41,000. I tried to tell her the mistake but you know, there was a language barrier. So I called Bro. Pritchard over so he can explain it to her. She didn't understand. She counted the money again and still said it was 41,000. The clerk called the supervisor over and Ja explained it again. She counted the money in front of the supervisor again and neither one of them understood the mistake. So we gave up trying to explain it and took the 9,360 ariy ariy (even though we were only due 360). It almost appeared as an issue of pride on their part - like they didn't want to admit that the clerk had made a mistake. Oh well!

The house we stayed in during the first week of our trip was directly across the street from the Pritchards home. It was nice. We had a house all to ourselves though we weren't allowed to use the kitchen or living or dining rooms. That was actually fine with us. The man was only charging us $100 for the whole time we were staying (which was supposed to be the entire trip but that's another story for later).

Ok so let me just describe for you the bathroom in this house. It had both a toilet and a urinal in it. A little odd but ok. The bathtub was literally the half the length of a regular size dining room table. And it was made of either porcelain or ceramic - an incredibly uncomfortable surface to sit on. There was no shower though there was a shower hose. Let me just say I know that my youngest son wouldn't have even been able to sit down with his legs straight in this tub! That's how small it was. It was quite comical to try showering let alone shaving! Because of the mixed company that reads this here blog, I won't give the details on shaving other than to say it was a funny sight!

No comments: