Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Breadmaking 101

Ok, so i consider myself somewhat knowledgeable about cooking. It is one of my passions.

I love to make homemade bread. I've been making bread for several weeks about every other day. I like to make it by hand - not a breadmaker (my own personal preference).

Just when I think I've got it mastered - bam! - I ruin a loaf of bread (I think the Lord was trying to keep me humble). Such was the case yesterday.

I was too tired to make my regular oatmeal bread. So I opted for a traditional white bread. Everything was fine until the bread was out of the oven and I tried to get it out of the loaf pan. The bread was stuck. Typically, I butter the pans before I put the dough in to rise. However, I figured there was enough butter on it from the first rising (that's what I get for doing my own figuring!). Well, I was so very wrong! The bread stuck to the pan. I was able to get part of it out. I was left with a loaf broken in half (the top half). The bottom half stayed stuck to the pan.

So a word to the wise. When the recipe calls for buttering the pan, make sure you follow the directions! Otherwise, your bread will be ruined!

1 comment:

Shari said...

At least you can make the bread and it turns out like bread. I, for some reason, can not make recipes with yeast turn out properly. Ugh! I have thought about a bread machine, but that would be cheating in my eyes. Hmm...what to do?