Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving...

Where do I begin giving my thanks?

Throughout this last year, I have learned so much. Seen so much. Lived through things that I didn't think I'd ever live through. But through it all....
I'm so very thankful...to my Heavenly Father.

First and foremost,
I am thankful that God Almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth, provided a way for each and every one of us to live with Him for eternity in Heaven. I am so thankful for His free gift of salvation and that I accepted that free gift.

At the beginning of this year, my husband and I thought God might be calling us to the mission field of Madagascar.
I am so thankful for the opportunity to take a missions survey trip and to have gone to a foreign field that I never even contemplated. I didn't think I'd ever leave America. I'm thankful that God would even want to choose me for something like that.

While we were in Madagascar, we saw with our very own eyes the incredible poverty that people in this world actually live in. You know, you see it on tv, you hear about it on the radio, and it doesn't really sink in. I mean, come on, we live in America. We have no idea really about poverty. We have so much. But we've gotten used to having it and we cannot fathom not having it.
I am thankful to have been born here in America and live in America.

As I reflect on God' goodness to me, it completely blows my mind that my Creator would choose to use me for
anything. He could have chosen angels to do His work for Him. But He chose man to do that. I'm thankful for the opportunity to serve the one true God.

Many days this year, I've awakened in the morning and one of the first thoughts in my mind is how God so richly provides for me every day my daily provision. Food, air, water, a roof over my head, clothes on my back, etc. For too many years, I've just taken those things for granted forgetting that my Heavenly Father has so richly blessed me.
I am thankful for these blessings.

Deuteronomy 8:18
But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day. This verse was pointed out to our church during our family conference back in May. I am thankful that God has given my husband the power to get wealth to provide for our family so that I can be a full-time mom at home. As I look back in our checkbook, God has worked miracles for us this year. I have a thankful heart for that. On paper, our finances don't make sense...but to God it does and all I can say is, "Wow!"

Our pastor resigned from our church in August. Our church was devastated. It has been one of the most difficult times in our lives. But...God has been faithful to us. He has provided so much for us. Walter and I have made so many new friends through this.
I am so thankful. God has miraculously provided for our church financially. I am so thankful. Nobody left the church because our pastor resigned. I am so thankful. The unity in our church is awesome. I am so thankful. We are still seeing souls saved. I am so thankful. Our church has not closed it's doors. I am sooooo thankful. We don't have a new pastor yet, but I know God will provide the right man in His perfect time.

My family is healthy. I used to take it for granted that we were healthy. I try not to do that anymore because I have come to the realization that our physical lives can change drastically in a short amount of time.
Thank you Heavenly Father for our health.

As I reflect on all of these blessings and more, I realize that God is sooooooooo good. I am thankful that we have a day set aside here in America called Thanksgiving Day to reflect on all the goodness and blessings in our lives.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: