Wednesday, February 6, 2008

This Tickled My Funny Bone

I was sitting at the lab today waiting to have my blood drawn when a senior citizen couple walked in. Their conversation was so cute that I have to share it with you. Because I don't know their names, I will call them Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Lab Tech: Mr. Smith, do you have your insurance card and paperwork?

Mr. Smith: Yes.

Lab Tech: Mr. Smith, your paperwork says that you need to be fasting for 12 hours. Have you eaten anything in the last 12 hours?

Mr. Smith: No.

Lab Tech: Are you sure? (He asked this because it was 4:30 p.m. I don't think too many people fast from 4:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)

Mr. Smith: Yes.

Lab Tech: Ok. Have a seat and we'll call you in a little bit.

Mr. Smith sits down next to Mrs. Smith.

Mrs. Smith: (whispering with her hand covering her mouth so the lab tech doesn't hear her) Why did you tell him you were fasting for 12 hours?

Mr. Smith: Huh? I have been fasting for 12 hours!

Mrs. Smith: No you haven't!

Mr. Smith: Yes I have!

Mrs. Smith: No, you haven't. You ate lunch, remember?

Mr. Smith: Huh? Oh, yeah (puzzled).

Mrs. Smith: I'm going to go up and tell the lab tech that your test won't be right (he was having a cholesterol test done and it will be completely messed up if you don't fast for 12 hours).

Mr. Smith: No, don't do that. It'll be alright.

Mrs. Smith: We can't stay here. Why don't we just come back tomorrow?

Mr. Smith: Because we're already here! Besides they have to check my thyroid, my prostate, etc.... It'll be ok.

Mrs. Smith: (huge sigh)

On a side note - one thing that made this so funny is that it was absolutely silent in the waiting room. Everyone in the room including the lab tech could hear the whole conversation even though they were trying to be quiet!

Walter and I got such a laugh out of this. We realize that this whole scenario could be us in just a few short years!

1 comment:

mama2drama said...

Yes, and when it is you and Walter I hope I'm there to overhear your conversation! lol!